Will is growing!

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

My Great Temptation

My weekends have gotten really, really short, friends. There’s so much to do, with so many people – but that’s only part of my excuse.

No doubt there are many errands – things to do to settle the rest of the way in, to change over documents and accounts into a new name, to prepare for the upcoming week, and on and on. But.

No doubt there are people with whom I want to catch up, friends to have lunch with, people to thank with dinners, and so on. But.

But. What I really want to do isn’t nearly as productive as those things. What I want to do is snuggle on the couch with my husband. What I want to do is stay in bed with my husband until noon on the one day of the week when there’s no alarm to blare us awake. Then what I want to do is make something yummy to eat, clean up, and snuggle up again.

This is not very productive.

I realized this weekend, when we’d come home after church and lunch with a close friend and sipping carbonated water in the sunshine at the Summit…when we crashed on the bed for just a moment, I thought, laying on his chest, ‘I could go to sleep’. At 2pm! On a Sunday! When you slept for 8 hours the previous night! Outrageous!

And I did fall asleep. For a few minutes. Until D woke up, rousted us, and got to work on the house.

And as I woke back up, and lumbered around for my cookbooks and my notebook to plan the week’s dinners, for a moment, I was irritated. Why did we have to get all this stuff done? Why did I have to stare at all these black-and-white recipes? Why did he have to be outside and me inside? Grumpy.

Then, a realization: I can love my husband. I can love my home. I can love my marriage. I can love snuggling into domestic bliss. BUT. Not more than God. Not more than God. Not more than God.

I believe God created me for Duncan. And created Duncan for me. And that we’re better together than apart. And that if God created us for each other, he has a plan for us together, a ministry, if you will, through our marriage.

But it doesn’t happen by sitting around. It doesn’t happen by alienating ourselves from the world.

I’m not saying we can never enjoy time alone together. Of course we can. But when we crave it above everything else, which is my biggest temptation right now, there’s a problem.

Praying to be better…more loving…more giving…more Christ-centered….

No comments:

Post a Comment